However, in the world violence continues today in the forms of harming and murdering innocent people with knives, guns, acid, rape, bullying, domestic violence, explosives etc. Why do people do this?
In cavemen times when were were more primal and animalistic, hunting for food and killing animals was the pretty much the only way to stay alive and feed your family. Obviously in our modern society, we've industrialised food production, cooking, storage, delivery and consumption. People need not hunt anymore.
But that doesn't mean our biology hasn't stopped us from being predators. Our canine teeth are designed for tearing meat. Adrenaline (and testosterone, to some extent) brings an elevated heart rate, aggression, focus, energy, and passion.
So, violence is fundamental to us. What our options?
- Prevent violence. Clearly with modern society making all forms of violence illegal, this isn't working.
- Genetically removing the production of adrenaline seems extreme.
- There are only so many police you can have before it becomes a police state and may have curfews.
- Middle ground - permit some forms.
- Allow violence. Basically America and some African/Asian countries. Hello anarchy.
I think the answer lies in the middle ground. Here's some options.
- Controlled environments
- Fight Club. The first two rules of 'not talking about Fight Club' is essentially defeating the need to let out the adrenaline.
- WWF, sumo wrestling, any other contact sports
- Video-games and simulated violence
- A 'healthy' way to let out violent tendencies, with first person shooters and VR games like GORN and Boneworks