I've done technical tests of AV products in previous blogs, but this one is of my personal experience.
- Norton - generally slow
- BitDefender - good, but monumentally performance degrading, and features don't always work as advertised
- Avast - has always caused BSODs because of the network filter driver
- AVG - loaded with advertisements - do not recommend
- ESET - very lightweight load wet performant. High granular control esp over the firewall which does not interfere. Brower sandbox.
- McAfee - bloated, fragmented, slowly updated, archaic
- Kaspersky - one of the best, but no longer trusted by UK or US governments, and dropped by Barclays
- Webroot - all scanning is done online similar to how VirusTotal operates - so useless if there is no internet connection
- F-Secure - not bad
- Windows Defender - very basic
- Malwarebytes - poor detection
- Firewall products
- Glasswire - blocks rather than leaves requests pending
Previous older reviews: https://rjcuk.blogspot.com/2009/08/security-software.html
- Trend Micro