3 March 2007

The View on Vista

(bearing in mind that "vista" means a view or prospect of the future, hehe lol)

Vista has been in progress for some time now - and was finally released at the end of January.
Wahoo! Or is it...?

My 'view' on Vista is that it isn't really the way to go - most of us now have Windows XP. And for me, that's fantastic, because XP is a wonderful operating system. Ever since Millenium Edition came out (with the first ever Windows Movie Maker and System Restore), the OSes released by Microsoft have been brilliant... except the way we have approached Vista.

The whole idea that Microsoft were getting across is that everyone should "upgrade" to Vista. But is it really worth it? Will Vista's amazing graphics (Aero Glass and Flip 3D (yes, I looked them up, I'm that sad)) work on computers that are 3 years old? So I went out and tried the Windows Vists Upgrade Advisor... and found out that a lot of my components are now out of date, and that there are no new drivers for Vista.

So... I don't think there is any point in "upgrading" to Vista. I think that if you really want it, buy a whole new computer. Get a massive RAM, processor and graphics card - especially if play a lot of games! Remember that you only have to pay for them once! (followed by a massive electric bill lol) Another problem is that Vista is 64-bit, so a lot of your favourite programs won't work either.

In that case, I might alternatively suggest choosing a good competitor - get an Apple Mac. Woo, and indeed, hoo. With iLife, it makes it much easier to make videos, blogs and music. However, that means it isn't very well designed for doing everything else!

Click here for a review from a BBC researcher trying out Vista on his computer - he expands on what I've said already


Picture of Anonymous
Luca Macis wrote:
I think you have a valid point there mate. Vista, if you have the money and components is a worthwhile upgrade simply because its usability. But if your running a system thats even 2 years old you should still with XP untill you want to buy a new computer. And the Mac choice. Fanatstic option but your going to be forking out a lot of cash for it.
Mar. 4 | Delete