27 June 2017

Sex and Gender

Sex and gender can be difficult and complicated for people to understand, so here's my thoughts.

  • Sex is genetic, but not binary. Gender is fluid.
  • Snowflake generation has created safe spaces, trigger warnings, and taken offence to any form of criticism. I believe Twitter possibly is in part to blame due to being anonymous when giving negative feedback - there are no consequences for honesty online. But there is a difference between banter and abuse.
  • I respect people who are transgendered. I totally understand feeling uncomfortable in your own skin and wanting to change that. I support gender reassignment, hormone changes, etc.
  • As sexes, men and women should be protected and maintained - there is no need to remove them. There is equally an argument to both make everything gender neutral and yet ensure distinct sexes and genders. The right way is to allow people to define their own genders and only use sex when necessary.
  • I'm open to the idea of any individuals defining their own gender. I admit that it is entirely possible to go over the top, however, and it is easy to criticise the concept of gender and not treat it seriously. I accept androgyny, and I strongly believe that love and attraction is a fluid spectrum. Sex really isn't important for everyone to know. I think everyone at the very minimum should be able to define their gender as 'neither', 'undefined', or 'transitioning', without question.
  • I believe in breaking down barriers and difference in men and women, and I believe in equality between genders. Gendered products need to be looked at carefully.