"I was so proud to be the group of people who were too cool to drink. We were happy and had more fun than anyone, and we didn’t need alcohol."
"People drink, and it’s usually for a reason : lonliness, depression, insecurity, stress, or the worst of all : boredom."
"As my friends began to drink and I saw them, I saw them act like idiots. They were transformed from the people I knew and loved into boring idiots. They would laugh at things that weren’t funny, stumble around, and generally make fools of themselves. Some of them would say things that they’d surely regret. Often times they’d get too close to people’s faces and talk about things that person didn’t care about. I was that person sometimes."
"All of my worries were immediately banished - this stuff was disgusting. I was shocked, actually. I really thought that I would like it and would have to then force myself not to drink. But it tasted like rotten fruit and gasoline all mixed together." LOL!!!
"Think about this : is there anyone who you have ever respected MORE because they drank? Is there anyone who you’ve respected more because they DIDN’T drink?"
"Personally, I’ll never drink or do drugs. There’s just too much liability for too few benefits. I also like being one of the few who was strong enough to never give in and try it. Cheers!"
To me, I just have to say that I completely agree with everything this guy says, apart from the part where he does actually try it out.
I just feel so happy I'm not alone!!! YAY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, there are also some other things which have helped me support my decision, which deserve a mention:
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4232703.stm - "Alcohol 'as harmful as smoking'"
- http://www.punkwalrus.com/cybertusk/alcohol.html - very good blog
- http://www.pbones.com/writings/drink.php - another good blog
- http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=480508 - and another.
- http://www.keep-it-real.us/factoids.php - just some obvious facts
- http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/wellbeing/story/0,,1970093,00.html - stories from the Guardian
- http://toestubber.com/archives/92 - about someone in a music band and drugs/alcohol ruining their lives